List of Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
S. Varlas,†* E. C. Johnson,† O. Norvilaite, T. J. Neal, G. J. Leggett, S. P. Armes
Manuscript in preparation.
27. Thermoresponsive Block Copolymer Core–Shell Nanoparticles with Tunable Flow Behavior in Porous Media
M. P. J. Miclotte, S. Varlas, C. D. Reynolds, B. Rashid, E. Chapman, R. K. O'Reilly
ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2022, 14, 54182-54193.
26. Synthesis of crystallizable poly(behenyl methacrylate)-based block and statistical copolymers and their performance as wax crystal modifiers
I. R. Dorsman, D. H. H. Chan, V. J. Cunningham, S. L. Brown, C. N. Williams, S. Varlas,* S. P. Armes
Polym. Chem. 2022, 13, 5861-5872.
25. Stimuli-responsive and core cross-linked micelles developed by NiCCo-PISA of helical poly(aryl isocyanide)s
S. Jimaja, S. Varlas, J. C. Foster, D. Taton, A. P. Dove, R. K. O'Reilly
Polym. Chem. 2022, 13, 4047-4053.
24. Polymerization-induced self-assembly and disassembly during the synthesis of thermoresponsive ABC triblock copolymer nano-objects in aqueous solution
S. Varlas,* T. J. Neal, S. P. Armes
Chem. Sci. 2022, 13, 7295-7303.
23. Protein-, (Poly)peptide-, and Amino Acid-Based Nanostructures Prepared via Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly
S. Varlas,* G. L. Maitland, M. J. Derry
Polymers 2021, 13, 2603.
22. Tuning the Cloud-Point and Flocculation Temperature of Poly(2-(diethylamino)ethyl methacrylate)-Based Nanoparticles via a Postpolymerization Betainization Approach
M. P. J. Miclotte, S. B. Lawrenson, S. Varlas, B. Rashid, E. Chapman, R. K. O'Reilly
ACS Polym. Au 2021, 1, 47-58.
Featured in Top 10 Most Accessed Articles during July-October 2021 and in Top 10 Most Accessed list in 2021 – Open-access article
21. Complementary Nucleobase Interactions Drive the Hierarchical Self-Assembly of Core–Shell Bottlebrush Block Copolymers toward Cylindrical Supramolecules
S. Varlas,† Z. Hua,† J. R. Jones, M. Thomas, J. C. Foster, R. K. O'Reilly
Macromolecules 2020, 53, 9747-9757.
20. It is Better with Salt: Aqueous Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization at Neutral pH
J. C. Foster,† M. C. Grocott,† L. A. Arkinstall, S. Varlas, M. J. Redding, S. M. Grayson, R. K. O'Reilly
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 13878-13885.
19. Self-assembled nanostructures from amphiphilic block copolymers prepared via ring-opening metathesis polymerization (ROMP)
S. Varlas, S. B. Lawrenson, L. A. Arkinstall, R. K. O'Reilly, J. C. Foster
Prog. Polym. Sci. 2020, 107, 101278.
18. The Importance of Cooperativity in Polymer Blending: Toward Controlling the Thermoresponsive Behavior of Blended Block Copolymer Micelles
R. Keogh, L. D. Blackman, J. C. Foster, S. Varlas, R. K. O'Reilly
Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2020, 41, 1900599.
Part of Special Issue on "Women in Polymer Science"
17. Nickel-Catalyzed Coordination Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly of Helical Poly(Arylisocyanide)s
S. Jimaja, S. Varlas, Y. Xie, J. C. Foster, D. Taton, A. P. Dove, R. K. O'Reilly
ACS Macro Lett. 2020, 9, 226-232.
Featured in Top 20 Most Accessed Articles list in February 2020
16. Polymerization-Induced Polymersome Fusion
S. Varlas, R. Keogh, Y. Xie, S. L. Horswell, J. C. Foster, R. K. O'Reilly
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 20234-20248.
15. Macromolecular Architecture and Encapsulation of the Anticancer Drug Everolimus Control the Self-Assembly of Amphiphilic Polypeptide-Containing Hybrids
A. Karatzas,† J. S. Haataja,† D. Skoulas, P. Bilalis, S. Varlas, P. Apostolidi, S. Sofianopoulou, E. Stratikos, N. Houbenov, O. Ikkala, H. Iatrou
Biomacromolecules 2019, 20, 4546-4562.
14. Ring-opening metathesis polymerization-induced self-assembly (ROMPISA)
S. Varlas, J. C. Foster, R. K. O'Reilly
Chem. Commun. 2019, 55, 9066-9071.
Part of Themed Collection: " 2020 RSC Prize and Award winners" – Open-access article
13. Tuning the membrane permeability of polymersome nanoreactors developed by aqueous emulsion polymerization-induced self-assembly
S. Varlas, J. C. Foster, P. G. Georgiou, R. Keogh, J. T. Husband, D. S. Williams, R. K. O'Reilly
Nanoscale 2019, 11, 12643-12654.
12. Predicting Monomers for Use in Aqueous Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly
S. Varlas, J. C. Foster, L. A. Arkinstall, J. R. Jones, R. Keogh, R. T. Mathers, R. K. O'Reilly
ACS Macro Lett. 2019, 8, 466-472.
Featured as Top 1 Most Accessed Article in May and June 2019 and in Top 10 Most Accessed list in 2019 – Open-access article
11. Getting into Shape: Reflections on a New Generation of Cylindrical Nanostructures’ Self-Assembly using Polymer Building Blocks
J. C. Foster, S. Varlas, B. Couturaud, Z. Coe, R. K. O'Reilly
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 2742-2753.
Highlighted as Highly Cited Paper in Web of Science – Open-access article
10. Poly(Pentafluorophenyl Methacrylate)‐Based Nano‐Objects Developed by Photo‐PISA as Scaffolds for Post‐Polymerization Functionalization
B. Couturaud,† P. G. Georgiou,† S. Varlas, J. R. Jones, M. C. Arno, J. C. Foster, R. K. O'Reilly
Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2019, 40, 1800460.
Part of Special Issue on "Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly"
9. Poly(Sarcosine)-Based Nano-Objects with Multi-Protease Resistance by Aqueous Photoinitiated Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly (Photo-PISA)
S. Varlas, P. G. Georgiou, P. Bilalis, J. R. Jones, N. Hadjichristidis, R. K. O'Reilly
Biomacromolecules 2018, 19, 4453-4462.
8. Predicting Monomers for use in Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly
J. C. Foster, S. Varlas,† B. Couturaud,† J. R. Jones, R. Keogh, R. T. Mathers, R. K. O'Reilly
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 15733-15737.
Highlighted as Very Important Paper by the editorial board
7. Photoinitiated Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly in the Presence of Surfactants Enables Membrane Protein Incorporation into Vesicles
S. Varlas, L. D. Blackman, H. E. Findlay, E. Reading, P. J. Booth, M. I. Gibson, R. K. O'Reilly
Macromolecules 2018, 51, 6190-6201.
6. Ring‐Opening Metathesis Polymerization in Aqueous Media using a Macroinitiator Approach
J. C. Foster, S. Varlas, L. D. Blackman, L. A. Arkinstall, R. K. O'Reilly
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 10672-10676.
5. Confinement of Therapeutic Enzymes in Selectively Permeable Polymer Vesicles by Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly (PISA) Reduces Antibody Binding and Proteolytic Susceptibility
S. Varlas,† L. D. Blackman,† M. C. Arno, Z. H. Houston, N. L. Fletcher, K. J. Thurecht, M. Hasan, M. I. Gibson, R. K. O'Reilly
ACS Cent. Sci. 2018, 4, 718-723.
Featured in Top 10 Most Accessed list in May and June 2018 – Open-access article
4. Smart polymersomes and hydrogels from polypeptide-based polymer systems through α-amino acid N-carboxyanhydride ring-opening polymerization. From chemistry to biomedical applications
E. Liarou, S. Varlas, D. Skoulas, C. Tsimblouli, E. Sereti, K. Dimas, H. Iatrou
Prog. Polym. Sci. 2018, 83, 28-78.
3. Permeable Protein-Loaded Polymersome Cascade Nanoreactors by Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly
L. D. Blackman, S. Varlas, M. C. Arno, A. Fayter, M. I. Gibson, R. K. O'Reilly
ACS Macro Lett. 2017, 6, 1263-1267.
Featured in Most Accessed list in November and December 2017 – Open-access article
2. pH-Sensitive nanogates based on poly(L-histidine) for controlled drug release from mesoporous silica nanoparticles
P. Bilalis, L.-A. Tziveleka, S. Varlas, H. Iatrou
Polym. Chem. 2016, 7, 1475-1485.
Selected as Paper of the Month in Polymer Chemistry in February 2016
1. Preparation of hybrid triple‐stimuli responsive nanogels based on poly(L‐histidine)
P. Bilalis, S. Varlas, A. Kiafa, A. Velentzas, D. Stravopodis, H. Iatrou
J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem. 2016, 54, 1278-1288.
† Denotes equal author contribution
* Denotes corresponding authorship
Thus far, I have delivered 16 oral presentations (including 8 invited talks and 1 "Best Oral Presentation" prize) and 14 poster presentations (including 2 "Best Poster" prizes) in national, international and online conferences and meetings.
6. Tuning membrane properties of functional polymersomes developed via aqueous photoinitiated polymerization-induced self-assembly (photo-PISA)
S. Varlas, L. D. Blackman, J. C. Foster, M. C. Arno, M. I. Gibson, R. K. O'Reilly
Abstr. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 259, PMSE-0696.
5. Expanding the scope of aqueous ring-opening metathesis polymerization-induced self-assembly (ROMPISA)
S. Varlas, J. C. Foster, R. Keogh, L. A. Arkinstall, R. T. Mathers, R. K. O'Reilly
Abstr. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 259, PMSE-0695.
4. Evolution of tubesomes via polymerization-induced polymersome fusion
S. Varlas, R. Keogh, Y. Xie, R. Keogh, J. C. Foster, R. K. O'Reilly
Abstr. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 259, POLY-0647.
3. Tuning the membrane permeability of polymersome nanoreactors developed by aqueous emulsion polymerization-induced self-assembly
S. Varlas, J. C. Foster, P. G. Georgiou, R. Keogh, J. T. Husband, D. S. Williams, R. K. O'Reilly
Abstr. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 259, POLY-0257.
2. Nanostructure synthesis by ring-opening metathesis polymerization-induced self-assembly
J. C. Foster, S. Varlas, L. A. Arkinstall, R. Keogh, R. K. O'Reilly
Abstr. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 258, 84-POLY.
1. Advances in aqueous metathesis chemistry
J. C. Foster, S. Varlas, L. A. Arkinstall, R. K. O'Reilly
Abstr. Pap. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 258, 63-PMSE.
Tuning the membrane properties of functional polymersomes developed by aqueous polymerization-induced self-assembly (PISA) – Download
S. Varlas – Ph.D. Thesis
University of Birmingham, 2020.
Synthesis, characterization and self-assembly of stimuli-responsive copolymers of poly(ethylene oxide), poly(L-histidine) and poly(L-cysteine) for the encapsulation of anticancer drugs and their controlled release – Download
S. Varlas – M.Sc. Thesis (in Greek)
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 2016.
Encapsulation of anticancer drugs into polypeptide-based nanostructures – Download
S. Varlas – B.Sc. Thesis (in Greek)
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 2014.